You need an RHI emissions certificate to use your non-wood fuel

Getting your non-wood fuel authorised with SFR is just one of the things you need to do before you can use it in your boiler. Another critical factor to ensuring that you are meeting your RHI obligations is making sure you have a valid Emissions Certificate for the fuel you want to use.

Some boilers will be designed for wood fuels only; in this case, you should stick to wood chip, logs or pellets. However, if you have a multi fuel boiler that has been engineered to tolerate a wider range of fuels, then there is a good chance this will be able to use non-wood fuels. It’s always a good idea to discuss it with the installer or distributor first to make sure.

Whatever fuel is used (woody or non-woody); it needs to be able to meet the following emissions thresholds:

  • Particulate matter – 30 grams per gigajoule
  • Oxides of nitrogen – 150 grams per gigajoule

Some multi-fuel boilers have already been tested for a variety of non-wood fuels, such as miscanthus pellets, hemp briquettes and straw bales, and have emissions certificates for use with them. The more unusual the fuel the less likely it will already have been tested. In this case, it is possible to get an in situ test done on your boiler by a specialised company. Be aware that some fuels may not achieve the emissions thresholds when tested and if this is the case, then some abatement technology may need to be added to your system. Options include bag filters and cyclonic filters.

This may all seem like a lot of hassle and potential expense. However, if you have the right type of boiler and a plentiful supply of cheap or free fuel then it could be well worth it in the long run.

Feel free to contact us for advice on multifuel boilers with emissions certificates for non-wood fuels and details of companies who conduct emissions testing and install abatement technologies. 

Share this post